Saturday 22 March 2008

Well, this blows

What is wrong with this picture? It's a beautiful March day, the air is pleasantly cool and the sky is a crisp, clear blue. And yet I am down here mooching about with my feet on solid ground, rather than up in the air.

You see, although there are no trees bent sideways in this picture it really is quite windy today. And it's even more noticable on a flat airfield than it is in the built-up suburbs of Belfast. When we arrived at Newtownards just after 8:30am this morning, the Cessnas were still in their hangars and the flight instructors had grim looks on their faces. The thing about flight instructors is that they want to fly just as much as you do so when they think it's bad enough to stay on the ground it must really be bad. The winds were 20mph right across the runway when we got there, and they are getting worse by the hour. The Met Office says they will eventually be gusting to nearly 50mph today, so the logbook will stay untouched for another Saturday.

I guess light aircraft deserve a day off too. Especially after what I put one of them through on Wednesday. Oh well, this lesson has been moved to next Sunday, which is not ideal, but better than nothing. Hopefully I'll be able to fly by that time, as snow is forecast for the weekend which would look really nice from the air. Fingers crossed.

It's not all bad news though. I got my hair cut.

Happy Easter.


Dave

1 comment:

Tim Perkins said...

Glad I've found your blog and will follow your quest for the air!

Tim Perkins
Rockwall, TX